THE 14-year-old stowaway, identified as Rasheed Mufutau, who was found unconscious inside one of the aircraft of United Nigeria is said to have gained access into the airside through an opening in the perimeter fence at Ile- Zik along Lagos-Abeokuta expressway.
According to a statement by Oluwatosin Onalaja, Head of Media at Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited, operators of the MMA2 terminal, the teenager is now safe in the custody of the airport authority where he is being held for further investigation.
From preliminary findings so far, Mufutau hails from Kwara State.but lives in Badagry and said he was tired of the country and wanted to travel out.
“At around 6:10a.m. on Sunday 4th September 2022, United Nigeria (the Airline) informed Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Ltd (BASL) of a 14-year-old stowaway boy found unconscious inside one of their aircraft,” Onalaja said in the statement.
Onalaja, added: “The incident boy was brought out of the aircraft and taken to the MMA2 clinic for first aid medical attention. He was later transferred for further treatment to the FAAN clinic where he regained consciousness at about 10:20a.m.
“Upon further interrogation by a combined team of BASL AVSEC and FAAN Aviation Security Officers, the following information was obtained from the boy: His name is Rasheed Mufutau. He is 14years oldHe lives in Badagry but hails from Kwara State. He is an orphan.
“He gained access into the airside through an opening at Ile- Zik along Lagos-Abeokuta expressway. His intention was to travel, as he was tired of the country He passed through General Aviation Terminal, Air Force hanger and walked down to MMA2 where he hid himself at the Apron. He saw staff on duty at GAT and Air Force hanger but dodged them and passed through the bush. He became unconscious as a result of the drugs he took and a lack of ventilation.”
According to the statement, the boy has been discharged from the hospital and taken to the FAAN Crime Office at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport along with United Nigeria Security Guard for further questioning.
The Airline has since commenced normal operations.
“We are an active part of the ongoing investigation to ascertain exactly what happened and to aid the prevention of any such occurrence in the future,” Onalaja said.
“The safety and comfort of our customers remain our utmost priority and we continue to ensure that the MMA2 terminal remains a safe zone of operation.”