Home / Aviation News / Ex Air Nigeria staff get succour, court orders N475, 280, 492.48 payment
Defunct Air Nigeria aircraft

Ex Air Nigeria staff get succour, court orders N475, 280, 492.48 payment

The National Industrial Court of Nigeria sitting in Lagos has given management of defunct Air Nigeria Development Limited 30 days to pay its wrongfully sacked employees Four hundred and seventy-five million, two hundred and eighty thousand, four hundred and ninety-two naira, forty eight kobo (N475, 280,492.48k)

The court also ordered the company to pay another three hundred and nine thousand, two hundred and seventy United States dollars ($309, 270.00) all as salaries from May to August 2012.

In the judgment, presiding Judge, honourable Justice J. T Agbadu- Fishim ordered  ANDL to pay the employees one month salary in lieu of notice and calculate each employees contributory  pension entitlement and  pay same to their respective Pension Fund Administrator.

The 30 day ultimatum on the judgment also comes with a caveat that failure to heed to it will attract a 10% interest of payment.

Defunct Air Nigeria aircraft
Defunct Air Nigeria aircraft

Five former staff of the company, Livinus Olisakwe, Roland Ahmed, Odunokwe Christopher, Awonaga Israel Jaja Samian Dandison filed the motion in court for all the sacked employees of Air Nigeria since 5th September 2012 seeking relief for their wrongful termination of appointment via a newspaper publication describing said as illegal and not valid notice.

In the suit filed NICN/LA/ 481/ 2012, enumerated that the defendant breached the employer/ employees agreement by deducting 7.5% from the claimants and their colleagues total emoluments and as agreed by the employees handbook is also supposed to make its own contribution of 7.5% totalling 15% to the pension scheme.

According to the claimants, that was not done as the defendants did not remit said funds and was trading with it depriving them the use of same.

They also claimed that the defendants deducted taxes from the claimants and their colleagues’ on the PAYE basis but  established that there was no tax certificate showing payment further leading to the fact that the defendant merely deducted the taxes without remitting to the appropriate authorities.

Recall that after a series of complaints and threats to down tools over unpaid salaries and hazardous working conditions, the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) suspended flight operations of Air Nigeria, owned by Barrister Jimoh Ibrahim with immediate effect.

The suspension arose from allegations that the airline was in dire financial distress unable to fulfil its obligations to employees, lessors and airline ground services in different countries around West Africa, Middle East and Europe. The airline was accused by a former staff of skipping critical maintenance of its fleet as the owner diverts funds meant for maintenance to other businesses.

The airline and its owner were later charged for tax fraud by Nigeria’s federal Inland Revenue service for tax evasion and fraud.

The Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS), also went on to quiz the then Managing Director of the airline, Mr Kinfe Kahssaye, for allegedly failing to pay company taxes amounting to N4.7 billion.

About anthony omoh

mm
I am a Journalist with a passion for developmental stories and nigerianflightdeck.com was born out of passion for reporting the travel, business and aviation sub-sector. This site is an expression of my ideals and creativity as a reporter and my discretion as a publisher. I am extremely content doing this and I am sure when you read my stories you'd understand that I touch people and that's why

Check Also

Sun International, City of Tshwane promises superb World Choir Games experience for West African travellers

WEST African travellers are in for a treat at the forth coming World Choir Games …

Route expansion: Igbo women eagerly await Air Peace’s international flights

SOUTH EAST women under the banner of Umuada Igbo Nigeria and in Diaspora, have urged …

NCAA enforces 90 sanctions from 2014 till date

NO fewer than 90 sanctions have been applied from October 2014 to December 2017, affecting …

FAAN ready to provide seamless travel ahead of Sallah celebrations

AHEAD of this year’s Eid-El-Mubarak celebration, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has assured …

NCAA explains involvement of aviation agencies in National Carrier establishment; says AOC will take carrier 90 days

CONTRARY to fears indicating that the Federal Government is ill-prepared for the take-off of the …

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar